Are You Afraid of the Dentist?

« Back to Home

Important Allergy Information For New Denture Wearers

Posted on

For many patients having all their teeth extracted for wearing dentures, the pain of bad teeth is a huge determining factor in their choices for doing so. Constant pain from bad teeth can sometimes be unbearable, but with dentures, you never have to worry about that pain again. However, for some people, putting their new dentures in for the first time means experiencing severe pain due to allergic contact stomatitis.

What Is Allergic Contact Stomatitis?

When you experience an allergic reaction inside your mouth, it is called allergic contact stomatitis. For some people, this type of allergic reaction can be severe and cause problems with eating or drinking. Learning the allergen that causes the inside of your mouth to blister and swell is extremely important. If you have recently started wearing new dentures, you should know that your denture plate could be the cause of your allergic reaction. Symptoms of allergic contact stomatitis include the following in addition to blisters:

  • Burning and itching sensations on the roof of your mouth

  • Fungal infections, usually on the tongue

  • A salty taste in your mouth when denture plate is removed

  • A plastic taste in your mouth while dentures are out

Allergens Called Acrylic Monomers

The materials used to make your dentures contains acrylic monomers. Acrylic monomers have been used with a variety of other materials and resins in past years for the determination of the best combination. Because of the material diversity in dentures, learning precisely which one is causing your allergic reaction can be challenging. However, monomers, also referred to as acrylic resins, are commonly the root cause. Today, denturists and other dental professionals are choosing monomer-free materials for making durable denture plates.

Epoxy Glue Could Be The Cause Of Stomatitis

If you have been wearing dentures for some time and have not experienced an allergic reaction until you had your plate repaired, you could be having a reaction to the epoxy glue used to make repairs. If so, you can learn more about the steps to take from your dental professional. Some experts recommend boiling your denture plate in water for a few minutes to leach out the monomers and other plastic related irritants. If you have had repairs done to your dentures, be sure to ask about boiling them to remove monomers after epoxy glues have been used. Waiting long enough for the glue to cure is important before putting your plate into boiling water.

Experiencing the pain of severe stomatitis is not the experience you most likely had in mind about wearing dentures. For many new denture wearers, being relieved of the constant pain of bad teeth is the aspect of their dentures they look forward to the most. When you end up still in pain after having all your teeth extracted, you may feel overwhelmed and angry. Discuss with your denturist about allergic reactions and if you can have your plates made from monomer-free materials. Visit a denture clinic for more information.


Share